When the ladybirds kiss on the sunflower, that is our wedding day:

Daisypath Ticker

Tuesday 20 March 2007

The Wedding Quilt

I have decided that I rather fancy a wedding quilt. If you're up for it, I would like a decorated square from each of our wedding guests that will be sewn into a wedding quilt card for our marriage bed.

So, for all you crafty men and women...don't buy us a Hallmark card. Instead, a six and a half inch by six and a half inch (now, now, stop being rude) cotton square, embroidered, beaded on or indelible penned upon will make a precious, treasured and most personal quilted wedding card from you. Alternatively, a knitted or crocheted square of the same proportions would fit the bill...as long as it's made by you.

Paul's Mum, Gilly, is going to sew all the squares together and we're going to sleep with each of you, every single night.

I know that some of you are inherently craftless so I'll take some squares of cotton and indelible pens to the wedding in the rainforest. Please, upon these squares, write us your message and help us to create a lasting memento of our wedding in the rainforest.

I've started my square and it will take pride of place in the centre of the quilt. Beautiful fillet crochet in fine white silken thread, it will read, "Make the bloody bed yourself." Just joking, I would never say anything so base!

If you want some hints on what I hope to achieve by sewing a combined wedding quilt, re watch "How to make an American quilt" (Winona Ryder, 1995). It's one of my favorite chick flicks and I intend to pull up a whole therapy around life story quilting by the time I die.

4 comments:

Sue Bayliss said...

Love the idea. How great is this! Attempted to start my 1st square today but didn't get to it. However, tomorrow is a brand new day during which I am sure to make a start.

Just to let you in on something - many, many years ago I was so tired one night that I picked you up and put you into bed with Dad and me so I wouldn't have so far to go when you woke up for your usual middle of the night tricks. It was so great, you actually slept all night!

I awoke all refreshed and full of praise and stuff about how wonderful you are. Then, I noticed how dreadful Dad looked. He had to be down at the marine base early. He was sailing out somewhere into the wilds of a New Guinea river system that day. When I asked him if he had been up late charting his trip he just looked at me and said, "I've been up all night. She just cried and cried and cried but I couldn't wake you up." I must admit, I wondered why on earth he had got you out of your crib so early.

What that has to do with a marriage bed quilt, I don't really know. I suppose if you have got a few squares from your mother over the top of you it could be called 'getting back at you.'

I know that when I think of what I would be thinking if Dad and I ever had a quilt on our bed made up of some squares my mother had made, we would have been very well behaved. Maybe, I could write on one of my squares something like, "You are both so precious, Dad and I will always watch over you."

Hmm. XXXX

Anonymous said...

I would love to contribute a quilt square, if Paul's mom isn't in a hurry to assemble it! With our spring break coming up, I will try to put something together...gosh knows, there's enough fabric in my house to make the quilt itself...SO, happy wedding and thank you, Sue for asking me to provide a square.
Fondly, Maria

Anonymous said...

hey I think I can do this because I started a l;og cabin quilt years ago when Zac was a bub for his single bed. My sister finished it for our wedding in 2004. I love that it was started by me with such great intention and finished by Karen, who has the craft skills. Zac will inheret it once David and I have tired of it. PS what time are we to be at the wedding???? Love u Deni

Megan Bayliss and Paul Martin said...

That's wonderful you three. I've also had some calls and emails from women saying they'd love to do one.
I wanted to do one for Jade's 21st but I just couldn't organise it from overseas.
Get handiworking - I expect something very flash from all of you.
Mxx